About NanoVNA V2
Table of contents
NanoVNA V2 is a low cost 3GHz T/R vector network analyzer developed by HCXQS in collaboration with OwOComm. The V2 hardware is a new from-scratch design and is not based on the original NanoVNA by edy555. Compared to the original NanoVNA, V2 does not use harmonics for measurements and achieves higher dynamic range.
HCXQS is the official manufacturer of the S-A-A-2 (NanoVNA V2), and is the only manufacturer that fund the development team.
Note that OwOComm does not manufacture V2 devices and does not provide direct technical support. Please use the above support forum or click "Contact Seller" on the Tindie page.
- Frequency range: 50kHz - 3GHz
- System dynamic range (calibrated): 70dB (up to 1.5GHz), 60dB (up to 3GHz)
- S11 noise floor (calibrated): -50dB (up to 1.5GHz), -40dB (up to 3GHz)
- Sweep rate: 200 points/s (140MHz and above), 100 points/s (below 140MHz)
- Display: 2.8", 320 x 240
- USB interface: Micro USB
- Power: USB, 300mA. 1A when charging.
- Battery: not included. Includes charging circuitry. User can install a 1000mAh - 2000mAh lithium-ion battery with maximum dimensions 6 x 40 x 60 mm.
- Battery connector: JST-XH 2.54mm
- Maximum sweep points (on device): 201
- Maximum sweep points (USB): 1024
- Port 2 return loss (1.5GHz): 20dB typ
- Port 2 return loss (3GHz): 13dB min
- VNA-QT software supported platforms: Linux, Windows (7+), Mac OS
The above specifications apply to the V2 Plus. For other variants (V2_2 and Plus4) see the user manual linked below.NanoVNA V2 Video Tutorials
A VNA (Vector Network Analyzer) measures the frequency dependent reflected and transmitted power of a high frequency network (RF Network).
The NanoVNA V2 measures the following:
- Reflection coefficient: S11
- Transmission coefficient: S21
- Return loss
- Insertion loss
- Complex impedance
To use the NanoVNA V2 for one port measurements (e.g. antenna impedance), you will need the following:
- NanoVNA V2 main unit
- SMA cable, male-male
- Calibration standards: Short, Open, and Load
The basic operation and menu structure of the NanoVNA V2 is very similar to the original NanoVNA.
- Configure the measurement frequency range:
Select STIMULUS > START and STIMULUS > STOP.
- Enter the CAL menu and connect a SMA male-male cable to port 1 of the VNA.
- Connect the OPEN standard to the cable end and select "OPEN". Wait for menu highlight.
- Connect the SHORT standard to the cable end and select "SHORT". Wait for menu highlight.
- Connect the LOAD standard to the cable end and select "LOAD". Wait for menu highlight.
- Select "APPLY". Calibration should now be active and you can start performing measurements.
Use this table to select and download the correct firmware variant for your device:Hardware versions
NanoVNA-QT (PC software) releases:
The schematics and PCB layout files are available here:
Permission is granted to use the design commercially and non-commercially without royalties. However, note that it is in your interest and everyone's interest to abide by basic business ethics.