Frequently asked questions
What is the relationship between NanoVNA and V2 (S-A-A-2)?
How accurate is the V2 compared to professional VNAs?
https://www.dd1us.de/Downloads/Brief comparison of NanoVNA V2 with a professional VNA HP-8753E.pdf
How to avoid a bad clone?
- All non-Plus versions and any product listing with "SAA2" or "SAA-2" in the title or description are guaranteed to be bad clones. We have stopped selling V2.2 versions since October 2020.
- Beware of cheap clones that use salvaged or reject parts. The price is trustworthy at around $200.
- As of July 2021 there are no clones of the V2 Plus4, so this version is safe to buy from resellers on Aliexpress and eBay. V2.2 however are all clones of a deprecated hardware version and should be avoided.
- After receiving your device please update the firmware and check CONFIG > VERSION in the menu.
- See Hardware Versions.
The following stores are selling clones despite being asked not to.
- R&L electronics
Why are there so many versions of the V2?
There are many unofficial (clone) variants with varying performance and firmware support.
See Hardware Versions.
Can I produce and sell V2 devices?
You need to obtain specific permission every 3 months. Please email OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com.
What is the specified frequency accuracy of the V2?
The V2 design specifies a 10ppm crystal oscillator instead of a TCXO because the clock input of the ICs driven is not specified to work with the low output amplitude of a TCXO. Since the ADF4350 step size is 10kHz, at 500MHz the frequency error is at least 20ppm, so this is the dominant source of frequency error. Clones that claim 2ppm or better frequency accuracy can not achieve that in practice because of the ADF4350 step size.
Additionally, the V2 is not suited to very narrowband measurements (coherent bandwidth <1kHz) because of the fast switching of the transmit and receive paths. In practice this only becomes a problem when measuring crystals (does not affect SAW or any other filters).
Where to get support?
It is recommended that you contact the seller you ordered from for general order inquiries and after-sales support.
On Tindie, go to the product page, and click Contact Seller on the right side of the page.
On Aliexpress, go to "My Orders", and click Contact Seller on the order.
For technical support please use the forums below. The hardware and firmware developers are most active on Discord.
When will my order ship?
We guarantee to dispatch orders within 5 business days, but TNT and HK DHL are handled by a shipping agent and during holiday times there can be up to another week of delay.
When will my order arrive?
This depends on the shipping method you selected. Express shipping (TNT, UPS, HK DHL) typically deliver within 2 weeks, while postal shipping services (SF eParcel, ePacket, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, China Post) can take 30-90 days depending on country.
Please pay attention to the shipping method selected when placing an order.
For SF eParcel shipping, the package is considered lost if not delivered in 90 days.
What we know:
- SF eParcel shipping is fast to US, Germany, UK, France, and most of Europe (30-45 days typical). It is slower to East Europe (Poland, Czechia, Croatia, Russia, ...) and takes 45 days typical.
- SF eParcel is very slow to India, Mexico, and Phillipines (60+ days typical).
- TNT and UPS usually take a week to deliver once it is shipped out by the shipping agent, but can take a few days of waiting at the warehouse. You will see a tracking number only after it leaves the shipping agent's warehouse.
- HK DHL takes up to 2 weeks to ship out because the shipping agent needs to send the package to Hong Kong and clear customs there. After it is shipped out it usually delivers in 1 week.
- During holiday times, all shipping methods are slower. TNT had an overflowed warehouse in December and packages took over a week to ship out.
- Some exceptional situations, like logistics shortage due to COVID, can cause the shipping time estimates to be completely outdated. In April 2020 there was a major problem with ePacket shipping that caused many packages to take over 100 days to arrive. While we quickly removed ePacket shipping for the affected countries as soon as we became aware of the issue, it was sudden and impossible to predict.
If you see any abnormal tracking (like tracking stuck for more than one month for postal shipping or more than one week for express shipping), please Contact Seller on the site you ordered from. For SF eParcel, ePacket, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, and China Post, it is normal for the tracking to appear to be stuck for 2-3 weeks.
If you are satisfied with the product, please do give us a 5-star rating, because we have had plenty of customers that choose slow shipping methods, and then give us a low rating because it was slow to arrive.