NanoVNA V2 / Forum

Note: this page is a mirror of https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2.
Click here to join and see most recent posts.

Totally Confused!!!


billharrison 2021/05/15 13:07

Can someone please help me understand what Nanovna I bought and how, if possible I can use it.
I see SAA-2N on my front panel of the vna. I have tried to find a match in the sea of information. NADA..
I have tried to get it to boot to my PC..NADA. I pulled up the so-called version no, it is 20200617
Nothing matches..It says Board NanoVNA V2_2. It's brand new and it has sat in the box til now.
Is it JUNK? Can I get some form of updates? If so where? are there exe software instead of raw compilers?
I haven't a clue how to compile anything.
Please help.Thanks--
Bill Harrison wb7pnc

mchenryproj 2021/05/16 03:58

Depending on what you bought it to do, just use it and don't worry about having the latest compiled version of firmware. Mine works fine as an antenna analysis tool and is all I need up to 3.3 GHz.  I have done nothing to it since I bought it and am happy with it's performance.
Sean

Spell checked by the NSA.

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 10:43 PM, billharrison<wb7pnc@gmail.com> wrote: Can someone please help me understand what Nanovna I bought and how, if possible I can use it.
I see SAA-2N on my front panel of the vna. I have tried to find a match in the sea of information. NADA..
I have tried to get it to boot to my PC..NADA. I pulled up the so-called version no, it is 20200617
Nothing matches..It says Board NanoVNA V2_2. It's brand new and it has sat in the box til now.
Is it JUNK? Can I get some form of updates? If so where? are there exe software instead of raw compilers?
I haven't a clue how to compile anything.
Please help.Thanks--
Bill Harrison wb7pnc

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/15 21:09

Hello Bill!
You have a clone. A good clone.  Your SAA2N have a PCB from SAA2 with soldered N connectors an 4 inch display.

You can download this firmware for your 2_2 version with 4 inch display:

https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201013/nanovna-v2-20201013-v2_74.bin

or experimental, but good:

https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin

By https://nanorfe.com can you find a manual for this last official version.

Please download NOT FW for V2Plus or V2Plus4 - it is other hardware!!!

Best regards
Vladimir, dl7pga

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/15 23:36

Hello Bill!

Please see item # 1371 for the latest firmware for all V2 versions from user DiSlord. Please pay attention to the information about FPU in the device.

Vladimir, dl7pga

Erich Kaltenbrunner 2021/05/16 09:12

A vector network analyzer is a powerful measurement instrument for RF, it is not a software development toy. Learn how to use it for measuring parameters of your filters, antennas, amplifiers, RF components and so on. Start to use it as is, later when you are familiar with this tool and have a set of proper HW bits and pieces for it you can consider updates and other GUI and whatever.


Erich Kaltenbrunner

Martin J.K. 2021/05/16 01:08

Robert Mueller 2021/05/16 10:19

I am not sure what you mean by " I have tried to get it to boot to my
PC.". You must load a program to run the device and one often used is
VNA_QT which provides ability to use most if not all of the VNA services.
However, I have experienced the inability to run the program with the VNAs
on a ThinkPad by Lenovo using Win 10 while an old HP laptop running Win 7
ran on the first try, This happened with two different models of the
VNAs. One solution which works according to reports is downloading new
firmware and here I suggest asking others or reading earlier messages on
such topics. The older computer gives it a new task and needs no
significant risks or playing around.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 4:43 AM billharrison <wb7pnc@gmail.com> wrote:

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/16 02:01

Hello Bill!
As first - on Website https://nanorfe.com ist most information to NanoVNA V2 (SAA-2) and user manual.

As second - please download and install the driver and program NanoVNA-QT for windows.
Without this driver cannot operate with SAA-2N on PC!!!

https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2-software.html

With NanoVNA-QT you can upgrade firmware of your SAA-2N.

I have written you over the firmware.

Best regards
Vladimir, dl7pga

Siegfried Jackstien 2021/05/16 10:27

its not junk ... its a superb device (a "good" clone so to speak)

newest "official" fw is from 24112020 but dislord made some changes and
add-ons (and is still working on the fw to make it better ... thank you
dislord!!)

to use it with the pc you need to install the windows driver ...and
install one of the three apps that can be used with v2

yes three different apps that work with it

VNA QT, nanovna-saver and NanoVNA-App ...

i prefer the last one cause it can be used with the v2, can upload new
fw ... and can do screenshots from the device

https://github.com/OneOfEleven/NanoVNA-H/blob/master/Release/NanoVNA-App.rar

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 15.05.2021 um 20:07 schrieb billharrison:

Lance Mitrex 2021/05/16 06:33

Hi Bill,
Let's start with a more basic procedure, instead of connecting to the PC and trying to update the firmware. Those things can be accomplished, next month of, later this year.
So, dig out the VNA and 3 CAL elements. Set the NanoVNA to a stimulus of Frequency (start) =100MHz and Frequency (stop) =200MHz, then set the display to Smith Chary and perform a CAL using the open, 0ohm short and 50 ohm load. Then save the CAL. Then go find any 2 meter antenna and connect it to the nanoVNA. Change the display to SWR, to read the SWR of the antenna.
Now, you are on your way!!

Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8 2021/05/16 15:18

Hello Vladimir,
Looks like you exactly know what we are talking about here, therefore I plea
for your help because I'm confused too...

I purchased the 4" display SAA-2N on Amazon From AURSINC: [NanoVNA SAA-2N V2.2
](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G4GXTKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Config/Version says
Version: git-20201117-9659de4
Port Info: GD32F303
Board: SAA-2N
Has FPU: yes.

So, what did I get and what's the right pattern to upgrades?
\---------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)
one of EL2PP, 1A0KM, JT1Y, E30GA, T77V, TT8MM, T32R, K5K, XR0X, S05X, 4O3T,
BS7H, K4M, PJ7E, PJ7DX, 6Y1V, C6ANA, VP5/I8NHJ, ZF2NH and...

Sunday, May 16, 2021, 4:09:22 AM, you wrote:


| Hello Bill!
You have a clone. A good clone. Your SAA2N have a PCB from SAA2 with soldered
N connectors an 4 inch display.

You can download this firmware for your 2_2 version with 4 inch display:

<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201013/nanovna-v2-20201013-v2_74.bin>
[](https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201013/nanovna-v2-20201013-v2_74.bin)
or experimental, but good:

<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin>
[](https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin)
By https://nanorfe.com can you find a manual for this last official version.

Please download NOT FW for V2Plus or V2Plus4 - it is other hardware!!!

Best regards
Vladimir, dl7pga

_._,_._,_

* * *

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/17 06:06

Dear Max,



Although I only have a small version with the 2.8 inch display and SMA
connectors, the SAA-2N version basically has an SAA-2 board with N connectors
and 4 inch display. In terms of software it is the same. The first FW for V2
with 4 inch display is dated 20200619 (Github). But there is no such thing at
nanorfe.com



<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/>



The earliest FW version there is 20200926, followed by 20201013, 20201122
(bugs) and 20201124-experimental (good!). The 20201117 compilation was used in
production, but should be the same as the 20201013 compilation. The
designation of the FW for V2 (SAA-2N) with the 4 inch display is, for example
for the 20201124-experimental,

nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin in folder
<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/>



All other files are either for 2.8, 3.2 inch or, like V2Plus, V2Plus-ST7796,
V2Plus4, intended for other hardware, NOT for version 2.2 (2_2) with 4 inch
display.



The Nanorfe downloads folder also contains newer versions, but ONLY for the
V2Plus (2.8 and 4 inches) and V2Plus4 (only 4 inches!).



That's why I put a note on the forum post # 1371, where user DiSlord shows the
latest versions of the FW and explains what the FPU is all about. In the
archive loaded in the article there are FWs for the devices with and without
FPU. The FW without FPU support works with all, whereas the FW with the
support of FPU only works with the devices with. There are such devices too.

Please read this post from DiSlord. As a developer, he can explain everything
better.



Best regards

Vladimir, dl7pga

P.S. In Attachment is the FW for the V2 device with 4 inch display with FPU
support - 4 inch display has 480x320 pixel (SAA-2N)







16.05.2021, 17:18, "Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)"
<[n5nhj@yahoo.com](mailto:n5nhj@yahoo.com)>:

> Hello Vladimir,
> Looks like you exactly know what we are talking about here, therefore I plea
for your help because I'm confused too...
>
> I purchased the 4" display SAA-2N on Amazon From AURSINC: [NanoVNA SAA-2N
V2.2
](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G4GXTKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
> Config/Version says
> Version: git-20201117-9659de4
> Port Info: GD32F303
> Board: SAA-2N
> Has FPU: yes.
>
> So, what did I get and what's the right pattern to upgrades?
> \---------------------
> 73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)
>
>

_._,_._,_

* * *

David Maihofer 2021/05/17 07:37

Vladimir,

i just experienced the same scenario while looking for a path of upgrades for my Amazon purchased nanovna saa-2n. Hope to see engrained support for the product on this site.

Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8 2021/05/17 10:34

Hello Vladimir,
Thank you for your help.
I now understand there are several hardware platforms with different display
(and connector) solutions.
I updated the firmware to the revision you suggested, everything went well and
smooth.

Unfortunately, looks like there is not any officially released V2Plus4 (latest
hardware, if I'm not wrong) with 4" display and N connectors.
\----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Sunday, May 16, 2021, 11:06:45 PM, you wrote:


| Dear Max,

Although I only have a small version with the 2.8 inch display and SMA
connectors, the SAA-2N version basically has an SAA-2 board with N connectors
and 4 inch display. In terms of software it is the same. The first FW for V2
with 4 inch display is dated 20200619 (Github). But there is no such thing at
nanorfe.com

<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/>

The earliest FW version there is 20200926, followed by 20201013, 20201122
(bugs) and 20201124-experimental (good!). The 20201117 compilation was used in
production, but should be the same as the 20201013 compilation. The
designation of the FW for V2 (SAA-2N) with the 4 inch display is, for example
for the 20201124-experimental,
nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin in folder
<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/>

All other files are either for 2.8, 3.2 inch or, like V2Plus, V2Plus-ST7796,
V2Plus4, intended for other hardware, NOT for version 2.2 (2_2) with 4 inch
display.

The Nanorfe downloads folder also contains newer versions, but ONLY for the
V2Plus (2.8 and 4 inches) and V2Plus4 (only 4 inches!).

That's why I put a note on the forum post # 1371, where user DiSlord shows the
latest versions of the FW and explains what the FPU is all about. In the
archive loaded in the article there are FWs for the devices with and without
FPU. The FW without FPU support works with all, whereas the FW with the
support of FPU only works with the devices with. There are such devices too.
Please read this post from DiSlord. As a developer, he can explain everything
better.

Best regards
Vladimir, dl7pga
P.S. In Attachment is the FW for the V2 device with 4 inch display with FPU
support - 4 inch display has 480x320 pixel (SAA-2N)



16.05.2021, 17:18, "Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)"
<[n5nhj@yahoo.com](mailto:n5nhj@yahoo.com)>:
|
| Hello Vladimir,
Looks like you exactly know what we are talking about here, therefore I plea
for your help because I'm confused too...

I purchased the 4" display SAA-2N on Amazon From AURSINC: [NanoVNA SAA-2N V2.2
](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G4GXTKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Config/Version says
Version: git-20201117-9659de4
Port Info: GD32F303
Board: SAA-2N
Has FPU: yes.

So, what did I get and what's the right pattern to upgrades?
\---------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

---|---

_._,_._,_

* * *

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/17 23:08

Hello Max!



No, apart from SAA-2N there is no device with the N connectors. The latest
V2Plus4 with 4 inch display also have SMA connectors. SAA-2N remains an
exception.



73 de Vladimir, DL7PGA



17.05.2021, 17:34, "Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)" <n5nhj@yahoo.com>:

> Hello Vladimir,
> Thank you for your help.
> I now understand there are several hardware platforms with different display
(and connector) solutions.
> I updated the firmware to the revision you suggested, everything went well
and smooth.
>
> Unfortunately, looks like there is not any officially released V2Plus4
(latest hardware, if I'm not wrong) with 4" display and N connectors.
> \----------------------
> 73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)
>
> Sunday, May 16, 2021, 11:06:45 PM, you wrote:
> | Dear Max,
>
> Although I only have a small version with the 2.8 inch display and SMA
connectors, the SAA-2N version basically has an SAA-2 board with N connectors
and 4 inch display. In terms of software it is the same. The first FW for V2
with 4 inch display is dated 20200619 (Github). But there is no such thing at
nanorfe.com
>
> <https://nanorfe.com/downloads/>
>
> The earliest FW version there is 20200926, followed by 20201013, 20201122
(bugs) and 20201124-experimental (good!). The 20201117 compilation was used in
production, but should be the same as the 20201013 compilation. The
designation of the FW for V2 (SAA-2N) with the 4 inch display is, for example
for the 20201124-experimental,
> nanovna-v2-20201124-experimental-v2_74.bin in folder
<https://nanorfe.com/downloads/20201124-experimental/>
>
> All other files are either for 2.8, 3.2 inch or, like V2Plus, V2Plus-ST7796,
V2Plus4, intended for other hardware, NOT for version 2.2 (2_2) with 4 inch
display.
>
> The Nanorfe downloads folder also contains newer versions, but ONLY for the
V2Plus (2.8 and 4 inches) and V2Plus4 (only 4 inches!).
>
> That's why I put a note on the forum post # 1371, where user DiSlord shows
the latest versions of the FW and explains what the FPU is all about. In the
archive loaded in the article there are FWs for the devices with and without
FPU. The FW without FPU support works with all, whereas the FW with the
support of FPU only works with the devices with. There are such devices too.
> Please read this post from DiSlord. As a developer, he can explain
everything better.
>
> Best regards
> Vladimir, dl7pga
> P.S. In Attachment is the FW for the V2 device with 4 inch display with FPU
support - 4 inch display has 480x320 pixel (SAA-2N)
>
>
>
> 16.05.2021, 17:18, "Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)"
<[n5nhj@yahoo.com](mailto:n5nhj@yahoo.com)>:| | Hello Vladimir,
> Looks like you exactly know what we are talking about here, therefore I plea
for your help because I'm confused too...
>
> I purchased the 4" display SAA-2N on Amazon From AURSINC: [NanoVNA SAA-2N
V2.2
](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G4GXTKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
> Config/Version says
> Version: git-20201117-9659de4
> Port Info: GD32F303
> Board: SAA-2N
> Has FPU: yes.
>
> So, what did I get and what's the right pattern to upgrades?
> \---------------------
> 73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)
> ---|---

_._,_._,_

* * *

aleks07111971 2021/05/17 14:19

Не бейтесь головой о бетонный столб! :)

Vladimir Lebedev 2021/05/17 23:24

Алекс, я об этом знаю, но вот товарищи, купившие SAA-2N - ни сном, ни духом.
Остаётся только одно - переделать его в V2Plus...



17.05.2021, 23:19, "aleks07111971@yandex.ru" <aleks07111971@yandex.ru>:

>

> Не бейтесь головой о бетонный столб! :)

>

>
>

>

_._,_._,_

* * *

aleks07111971 2021/05/17 14:27

Они разобраться с разъёмом не могут? Или с версиями приборов?

aleks07111971 2021/05/17 14:38

I think that the located transition from sma to n connector does not benefit the device.

Erich Kaltenbrunner 2021/05/17 23:58

I am a bit confused too, but I blame this on the glass of whiskey.


Erich Kaltenbrunner

Max Mucci, N5NHJ (I8 2021/05/17 17:09

Hello Erich,
Share it with me....
\----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Monday, May 17, 2021, 4:58:31 PM, you wrote:


| I am a bit confused too, but I blame this on the glass of whiskey.


Erich Kaltenbrunner


|
| Am 2021/05/17 um 23:38 schrieb aleks07111971@yandex.ru:

---|---

| 
I think that the located transition from sma to n connector does not benefit
the device.
---|---

_._,_._,_

* * *

aleks07111971 2021/05/17 15:10

???????

Stephen Laurence 2021/05/17 22:52

May I say, this has been a tortuous thread, some of it not in the accepted communal language for the forum, and an embarrassing degree of quoting previous messages.

Summarise:-  V2.2 can only use v2.2 firmware. There are two versions with different drivers for the two screen resolutions (2.8” and 3.2” or the 4”). Dislord has rewritten the V2 firmware and the faster version makes use of the floating point unit (fpu) to speed up calculations - therefore four versions.

I find the v2N ideal (I have two of them) as it is heavy enough not to slide around the bench, it fits in the hand and has beefy connectors. I have had no trouble from them.

Ultimately, when you buy a complex device, you should expect to devote a period of time to learn about it and how to use it, if you have not used one before. That is not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Someone who has never driven a car before cannot expect the car manufacturer to supply a comprehensive handbook of driving complete with driving licence for the purchaser. Most new drivers spend some time and money learning to drive first and maybe a just a few minutes looking at the brief manufacturers info on how to use the satnav etc.

In the past, the leading manufacturers of vnas did offer education courses to new users at a huge additional cost to the purchaser (or his employer). Most employers hoped their technical staff (selected at the job interview) already knew how to use the kit.

Steve L.   (PS  I am a retired medical doctor and I am still learning about vnas, on these forums and the wider internet. I taught myself about spectrum analysers 30 years ago by making one).

Erich Kaltenbrunner 2021/05/18 09:13

This unit has a super Dokumentation and is perfect for education, just google the call sign and check. Yes I have one, I also have two nanovna’s and a professional Astech VNWA. I am happy with all of them. I would even be happier if the nanos would have the option to select a log freq. scale, see above picture.
73 de OE6??? Erich Kaltenbrunner

Joe Smith 2021/05/18 05:48

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 03:13 PM, Erich Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>
> I would even be happier if the nanos would have the option to select a log
> freq. scale, see above picture.

For me, if I am using log it's because the weighting of the data set.  The problem isn't plotting the data in log, it's running a log sweep.  To work around it, I run a quasi log sweep basically running small segments of linear sweeps in but calculating each segment as a log.   I find that some software doesn't like the Touchstone data this produces.

Link showing my attempt to look at a very poor power distribution network with the quasi log sweep.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3559860/#msg3559860

barnc4br 2021/06/12 15:18

try "The Missing Manual" in the files section of this group.
I am partial to it since I wrote it.

ei7ii.ie 2021/06/29 06:47

Vladimir... THANK YOU for this comment: "No, apart from SAA-2N there is no device with the N connectors. The latest V2Plus4 with 4 inch display also have SMA connectors. SAA-2N remains an exception."
I was very much wondering about this. I am awaiting mine here next Friday.
Thank you again..... much appreciated. Mine will be a clone too.... with N type connectors and a 4" screen. and  aluminium case.
In my opinion... SMA connectors are too fragile for this type of a device,
Thanks again....
Albert EI7II.

Siegfried Jackstien 2021/06/29 22:45

are you sure about case be in aluminium?!?

as far as i know the saa2n has a steel case and the v2plus4 has an
aluminium case (i do not know details about the other half a dozen clones)

the n connectors ... are sma to n adaptors screwed (and secured with
some solder) on the "normal" sma connectors

so in fact the saa2n ... is a "normal" v2 ... with 4 inch screen and
those sma to n adaptors

and those n sockets (adaptors)... are held from the sma sockets and not
secured well to the case

There is a reason why they were additionally soldered!

greetz sigi dg9bfc


Am 29.06.2021 um 15:47 schrieb ei7ii.ie@gmail.com:

Albert Kleyn 2021/06/30 15:37

Hi Sigi... Grusz Gott.
No, I am not sure at all.... the case looks steel to me, but somewhere I
read that is was aluminium !

As far as am concerned... it's steel, feels like steel... smells like
steel, sounds like steel AND it weighs a TON.
I am totally new to the use of the NanoVNA... so am a raw novice. The
first one I got had a screen defect. But it worked... but the screen
defect meant that you could nor properly see the calibration symbols on the
L/H side.
One thing I need to mention..... the Vendor support was absolutely AMAZING,
even though I guess they are in China... replies with 24/36 hours, and
exceedingly helpful... they immediately acknowledged that I had a faulty
unit. and a free replacement is on the way to me. I bought it from Amazon
USA... as neither Amazon DE or UK had the unit available. The support guy
has a Chinese call sign and writes perfect English...... just a pleasure to
deal with them.

This is the Unit I am awaiting: NanoVNA SAA-2N V2.2 Vector Network Analyzer
Metal Enclosure 4.0" inch with 3000mAh 50KHz -3.5GHz Measuring S
Parameters, SWR, Phase, Delay, Duplexer, Smith Chart HF VHF UHF Antenna
Spectrum Analyzer
Brand: HKCNMA.COM
<https://www.amazon.com/HKCNMA-COM/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_21125670011?ie=UTF8&node=21125670011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=HKCNMA.COM>

Sigi... I note your point on the N connectors... but i prefer them far
above PL259 or SMA. I no longer work on 23cm stuff so the N's will be fine
for me.
Thanks very much for getting back to.
Alles Beste...
Albert EI7II

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 21:45, Siegfried Jackstien <
siegfried.jackstien@freenet.de> wrote:

Ken Sejkora 2021/06/30 11:49

Will a magnet stick to it? Granted, if it’s stainless steel, a magnet won’s stick, but I doubt they’d use stainless for the case. If the magnet doesn’t stick, it’s probably aluminum.

Ken - WBØOCV

From: Albert Kleyn
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 11:42 AM
To: NanoVNAV2@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nanovnav2] Totally Confused!!!

Hi Sigi... Grusz Gott.
No, I am not sure at all.... the case looks steel  to me, but somewhere I read that is was aluminium !

As far as am concerned... it's steel, feels like steel... smells like steel, sounds like steel AND it weighs a TON.

Siegfried Jackstien 2021/06/30 17:56

i have both .. an saa2n and a v2plus4 ... saa2n is steel and v2plus4 is
aluminium

greetz sigi dg9bfc


Am 30.06.2021 um 17:49 schrieb Ken Sejkora:

Ken Sejkora 2021/06/30 12:01

I just did the magnet test on my SAA-2N, and it sticks. At least in the case of my SAA-2N purchased ~Nov-2020, it has a steel case.

Ken - WBØOCV


From: Albert Kleyn
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 11:42 AM
To: NanoVNAV2@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nanovnav2] Totally Confused!!!

Hi Sigi... Grusz Gott.
No, I am not sure at all.... the case looks steel  to me, but somewhere I read that is was aluminium !

As far as am concerned... it's steel, feels like steel... smells like steel, sounds like steel AND it weighs a TON.

Lou W7HV 2021/06/30 09:08

FWIW:  Some stainless steel is magnetic, and some is magnetic when work hardened but non magnetic after annealing.

Ken Sejkora 2021/06/30 13:26

Thanks for the comment, Lou. Yes, I knew that, and perhaps my original comment was a bit too broad, and possibly misleading, regarding stainless steel and magnetic properties. Some stainless steels are indeed magnetic, but I doubt if the manufacturers of the SAA-2N would have opted for a stainless steel case, due to the added expense.

I apologize for misleading anyone into thinking that *ALL* stainless steel alloys are ‘non’-magnetic, but as a very general rule, a magnet will not stick to most inexpensive, garden-variety stainless steel alloys. But my original premise stands -- the fact that the magnet sticks does rule out that the case was aluminum, which was the ‘question’ I was attempting to answer.

Thanks again for the comment and correction, Lou.

Ken -- WBØOCV

From: Lou W7HV via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 12:08 PM
To: NanoVNAV2@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nanovnav2] Totally Confused!!!

FWIW:  Some stainless steel is magnetic, and some is magnetic when work hardened but non magnetic after annealing.

Albert Kleyn 2021/07/01 20:21

Same.... magnet sticks. Problem solved. Makes sense... aluminium, tends to
be more expensive than steel.
Irrelevant for me.... even if the case was made from sourdough.... as long
as it adequately protects the unit.

Albert - EI7II

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 17:01, Ken Sejkora <kjsejkora@comcast.net> wrote:

To reply to this topic, join https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2

View this thread on groups.io