Beware of cheap underperforming clones

As of 2023 there are many badly performing clones on the market. V2/3GHz NanoVNA uses parts like ADF4350 and AD8342 which are costly and clones have been cutting costs by using salvaged or reject parts.

See official store and look for V2 Plus4/V2 Plus4 Pro versions only to avoid getting a bad clone. We have stopped selling V2.2 versions since October 2020, so all V2 hardware that are not Plus or Plus4 are not made by us and we can not guarantee performance.

NanoVNA V2 Forum

Note: this page is a mirror of https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2.
Click here to join and see most recent posts.

unable to update firmware on new VNA6000 A

Galli Valeria 2024/07/03 03:41

Hi everyone
I recently bought a VNA6000A and I am trying to set it up.
I followed the instructions to update the firmware to the latest version:

----------------------
How to update firmware
----------------------

* Switch off the NanoVNA.
* Hold down the JOG LEFT button (leftmost of the 3 pushbuttons) and switch on the NanoVNA.
* Once white screen appears, release JOG LEFT.
* Select the device in NanoVNA-QT under the "Device" menu.
* You will be prompted to flash a firmware binary, which you can download from the table above.
* The device should automatically reboot after the firmware is flashed. The whole process usually takes 5 - 10 seconds.

If the update takes longer than 10 seconds, there is likely a communication error and it is necessary to restart the update process. Simply switch off the NanoVNA and repeat the steps above.

Interrupting a firmware update will not brick your device, but you will need to flash the firmware again before the device will boot.

but I'm stuck at step 3, i.e. I release JOG LEFT and the screen is still white.
I bought the VNA from the official store so it should not be a clone. Can anyone please suggest a solution?

thanks
Valeria

nanov2support 2024/07/03 09:01

Hi, in DFU mode the device will show a white screen, but it should show up on the Devices menu in VNA View/NanoVNA-QT when connected to a computer through USB. If it doesn't show up, can you check if it's detected in Device Manager (Windows) or dmesg (Linux/Mac OS)?
Thanks

Galli Valeria 2024/07/03 16:52

Hello

Thank you for your message.
I am indeed trying from the NanoVNA-QT sw and connecting through USB to the computer. I have windows and I checked the port number (COM49):
[cid:image001.png@01DACD79.4E772920]

But when I select port COM49 on the sw it shows this:
[cid:image002.png@01DACD79.4E772920]

[cid:image003.png@01DACD79.4E772920]

And if I click OK nothing happens. The screen is white and I cannot select calibration.

I verifier that USB connection to the computer is the only way for it to work (it won’t switch on otherwise).

Kind regards
Valeria

nanov2support 2024/07/03 11:30

Hi, are you able to connect VNA View to the device and see the smith chart when rebooted into normal mode?
Thanks

Galli Valeria 2024/07/04 06:40

Hello

Yes, that works fine.

Kind regards
Valeria

nanov2support 2024/07/04 01:01

Hi, can you tell me which Windows version you are on? Can you try the firmware upgrade on another PC?
Thanks

Galli Valeria 2024/07/04 14:08

I have Windows 10 Education but will move to Windows 11 next week. I can try on another laptop tomorrow.
Thank you for your support
Valeria

Dave (G1OGY) 2024/07/04 22:15

Hello there
It might help to arrange for a COM port with a much lower number.
(Various HowTos available on internet this is the `basics`

To manually change the COM port number of a device:

1. Open Windows Device Manager > right click the device > Properties
2. Under Port tab > Advanced
3. Change COM port number

)
If you can force your PC to use a COM port number between 1 and 9 (single
figure) it could have a beneficial effect.

HTH

Dave, G1OGY

On Thu, 4 Jul 2024 at 16:59, Galli Valeria <valeria.galli@hest.ethz.ch>
wrote:

Galli Valeria 2024/07/08 05:44

Hi Dave

thank you for the suggestion, I am afraid I cannot do that on my computer (I do not have admin rights).

Valeria

Galli Valeria 2024/07/08 05:45

Hi
I successfully update the firmware using another computer but the device is still not recognizable on my laptop even after the update.
I can use it on the other computer, although it is suboptimal for me, so it would be great to find a solution.
thanks
Valeria

To reply to this topic, join https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2

View this thread on groups.io