NanoVNA V2 / Forum

Note: this page is a mirror of https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2.
Click here to join and see most recent posts.

New V2Plus4 2 of 3 buttons don't work


nanovna2rfe 2021/09/04 07:37

Received my NanoVNA V2Plus4 yesterday from the official source.

Unfortunately, 2 of the three buttons do nothing, that is, they have no effect in any screen.
Is this common? Is there any easy fix outside of returning it or replacing the board? Maybe touching up the solder points?

This is my 4th NanoVNA but the first one with buttons instead of the scroll wheel.
I purchased it because two of the previous three failed and I have been asked to do a presentation about them for a local ham group. (I feel like the one-eyed man in a kingdom of blind.)
I don't have time to return it and wait for another one before the presentation and I can use it as is with the menu.
But I wonder if it would make sense to try to fix the switches myself or wait and return it after the presentation.
Also, would a firmware update possibly fix this? Even if it's the same firmware version?

The device was delivered with 20210530 built June 18 2021 - 11:28:58.

Siegfried Jackstien 2021/09/04 17:43

i do not think that a fw update will help

checking solder work maybe

it could be a not well soldered chip or the buttons

contact the seller .. maybe you can get a new one if you can not repair
it (best ask BEFORE try on your own)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 04.09.2021 um 16:37 schrieb nanovna2rfe@mingman.com:

aleks07111971 2021/09/04 09:35

Русский
Английский

Vospol'zuytes' skhemoy ot V2, protsessory odinakovyye s V2plus4, tri knopki idut napryamuyu v protsessor.
Vse prosto!:)
Proverte testerom, srabatyvaniye knopok, na kontaktakh protsessora i zemlyanogo poligona.

Use the circuit from V2, the processors are the same as V2plus4, three buttons go directly to the processor.
It's simple! :)
Use a tester to check the operation of the buttons on the contacts of the processor and the ground area.

aleks07111971 2021/09/04 14:41

Русский
Английский

Iz kakoy vy strany?
U moyego znakomogo v Rossii yest' to, chto vam nuzhno!:)
YA ne znayu skol'ko budet stoit' dostavka v vashu stranu!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

What country are you from?
A friend of mine in Russia has what you need! :)
I don’t know how much shipping to your country will cost!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

David Bradley 2021/09/04 23:27

Are they official sellers of devices far too many clones about no offence intended but I already got 2 clones don't want any more,Dave

Brian Amos 2021/09/05 00:52

I purchased a v2plus4 from tindie a couple of months ago and have had no problems. It’s hard to get them due to the chip shortages, but every couple of months it seems like some are available. It is my understanding that a v3 is in the works and that may limit the number of v2 that are made by the creator.

Brian
KF7OVD 
On Sep 4, 2021, at 4:27 PM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:


Are they official sellers of devices far too many clones about no offence intended but I already got 2 clones don't want any more,Dave


On 4 Sep 2021, at 22:41, aleks07111971@yandex.ru wrote:


 Русский
Английский
 
Iz kakoy vy strany?
U moyego znakomogo v Rossii yest' to, chto vam nuzhno!:)
YA ne znayu skol'ko budet stoit' dostavka v vashu stranu!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

       
What country are you from?
A friend of mine in Russia has what you need! :)
I don’t know how much shipping to your country will cost!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

David Bradley 2021/09/05 11:27

Brian thanks for reply,I wonder if you experienced any singing on registering problems ,even tied my call sign and a string of numbers which I thought would be unique ,but no that username is already taken ,struth ,so I await Tindies reply,Dave

aleks07111971 2021/09/05 03:40

Yes! No clon.

Brian Amos 2021/09/05 14:00

Dave,

I don’t think I had to create an account to sign up for the email that it was available. It probably won’t let you sign up for the email as it appears that there are some available right now. 
https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/4-nanovna-v2-plus4/ <https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/4-nanovna-v2-plus4/>

I do know that you can’t buy just the vna by itself, it’s only available with the calibration kit. Right now, I was able to add it to my cart and start the checkout process without creating an account on tindie. 

If you’re having issues with tindie’s website, perhaps try a different web browser.

Brian
KF7OVD 

On Sep 5, 2021, at 4:27 AM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:


Brian thanks for reply,I wonder if you experienced any singing on registering problems ,even tied my call sign and a string of numbers which I thought would be unique ,but no that username is already taken ,struth ,so I await Tindies reply,Dave


On 5 Sep 2021, at 04:01, Brian Amos <Brian@amoscomputing.com> wrote:

I purchased a v2plus4 from tindie a couple of months ago and have had no problems. It’s hard to get them due to the chip shortages, but every couple of months it seems like some are available. It is my understanding that a v3 is in the works and that may limit the number of v2 that are made by the creator.

Brian
KF7OVD 


On Sep 4, 2021, at 4:27 PM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:


Are they official sellers of devices far too many clones about no offence intended but I already got 2 clones don't want any more,Dave


On 4 Sep 2021, at 22:41, aleks07111971@yandex.ru wrote:


 Русский
Английский
 
Iz kakoy vy strany?
U moyego znakomogo v Rossii yest' to, chto vam nuzhno!:)
YA ne znayu skol'ko budet stoit' dostavka v vashu stranu!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

       
What country are you from?
A friend of mine in Russia has what you need! :)
I don’t know how much shipping to your country will cost!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

nanovna2rfe 2021/09/05 09:07

I contacted the seller through Tindie and they almost immediately responded with the suggestion that I could check the soldering on the board or they would send me a replacement board.

I checked the board and found that 5 of the 6 pins from the switches had not been soldered at all, and the one pin that had been soldered had very little solder on it.
So I soldered the pins to the board and they now work. The problem is solved.

For those asking if this is an original version, I can only say as far as I know it is the original. I have a total of 5 different versions and from what I have read and my limited testing so far, I believe this is the best version.
However, "best" and "original" are difficult to identify given that this is open source, and others may have made their own modifications to make it better or different.
Read a lot of everything before you purchase.
At the same time I purchased this one, I also purchased another version from a different source. I have not been able to test that version yet but I will say that it was much better packaged, came with a carrying case for the device and test cables/calibration standards, and a stylus which could be tethered to the device.
This original one has no labels on the outside of the device, has an external stylus which works well but cannot be tethered to the device, uses a USB-B connection (instead of USB micro or C) and is more expensive.
However, this one likely performs better while the other one probably violates the open source use agreement, probably uses poorer components, and is likely sold at dumping prices along with other less than ethical marketing schemes.

For those asking about availability, I was able to sign up for an account at Tindie with no problem. The version including the calibration standards was available, shipment departed within a day or two and arrived at my location in SE USA within probably 10 days. This part of the purchase truly functioned seamlessly.

If you are having problems creating a user name on Tindie, it may be an issue with the browser or device you are using - try it from another device.
I believe I used the default user name which appeared to be a random set of characters.

You can find anything with "posts plagued with problems" but there's a selection bias involved. For that to be a valid point you would need to know how many have been sold.
Mine had components which were not soldered to the board. Whether mine is a one-off or if all of them have the same issue or if there are multiple issues, I cannot say.

David Bradley 2021/09/05 18:56

Hi Brian ,I did what you said and purchased with no registration ,it worked completed purchase ,now I just hope a battery will be supplied as I never saw any battery options choices ,though I did see certain carriers would not send batteries ,but thanks ,much appreciated ,Dave

Brian Amos 2021/09/05 18:21

Mine did not come with a battery, I used it plugged in to a usb charger for a few days until the battery I purchased separately from an online battery store arrived. 

Brian
KF7OVD 
On Sep 5, 2021, at 11:56 AM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Brian ,I did what you said and purchased with no registration ,it worked completed purchase ,now I just hope a battery will be supplied as I never saw any battery options choices ,though I did see certain carriers would not send batteries ,but thanks ,much appreciated ,Dave


On 5 Sep 2021, at 15:00, Brian Amos <Brian@amoscomputing.com> wrote:

Dave,

I don’t think I had to create an account to sign up for the email that it was available. It probably won’t let you sign up for the email as it appears that there are some available right now. 
https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/4-nanovna-v2-plus4/ <https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/4-nanovna-v2-plus4/>

I do know that you can’t buy just the vna by itself, it’s only available with the calibration kit. Right now, I was able to add it to my cart and start the checkout process without creating an account on tindie. 

If you’re having issues with tindie’s website, perhaps try a different web browser.

Brian
KF7OVD 

On Sep 5, 2021, at 4:27 AM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:


Brian thanks for reply,I wonder if you experienced any singing on registering problems ,even tied my call sign and a string of numbers which I thought would be unique ,but no that username is already taken ,struth ,so I await Tindies reply,Dave


On 5 Sep 2021, at 04:01, Brian Amos <Brian@amoscomputing.com> wrote:

I purchased a v2plus4 from tindie a couple of months ago and have had no problems. It’s hard to get them due to the chip shortages, but every couple of months it seems like some are available. It is my understanding that a v3 is in the works and that may limit the number of v2 that are made by the creator.

Brian
KF7OVD 


On Sep 4, 2021, at 4:27 PM, David Bradley <bozzbradley@gmail.com> wrote:


Are they official sellers of devices far too many clones about no offence intended but I already got 2 clones don't want any more,Dave


On 4 Sep 2021, at 22:41, aleks07111971@yandex.ru wrote:


 Русский
Английский
 
Iz kakoy vy strany?
U moyego znakomogo v Rossii yest' to, chto vam nuzhno!:)
YA ne znayu skol'ko budet stoit' dostavka v vashu stranu!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

       
What country are you from?
A friend of mine in Russia has what you need! :)
I don’t know how much shipping to your country will cost!
Nano VNA V2PLUS4

Ben Hall 2021/09/05 14:12

On 9/5/2021 1:21 PM, Brian Amos wrote:
> Mine did not come with a battery,

Mine either, but it takes a standard unprotected 18650 Li-Ion battery. I had several laying around. :) I think I recall reading in the Tindie listing something saying that it didn't come with a battery due to shipping regulations?

Thanks much and 73,
ben, KD5BYB

David Bradley 2021/09/05 21:14

Hi Ben ,think I have some 18650 batts out of laptop battery ,check tomorrow,thanks Ben ,Dave

To reply to this topic, join https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2

View this thread on groups.io