NanoVNA V2 Forum

Note: this page is a mirror of https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2.
Click here to join and see most recent posts.

NanoVNA-saver 32-bit executable


Gary Cobb 2020/08/01 12:32

Hi Holger
Can you put your 32-bit executable somewhere where ordinary mortals,
like users and not coders, can download it?

Cheers

hwalker 2020/08/01 05:29

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:32 AM, Gary Cobb wrote:

Hi Holger
Can you put your 32-bit executable somewhere where ordinary mortals, like users and not coders, can download it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary,
It's not that hard to find, https://github.com/NanoVNA-Saver/nanovna-saver/actions/runs/191035033 . That's pretty much how open source releases work. You can always download Holger's latest release from that link and not have to wonder if you what you download from another location is up to date. It also cuts down on proliferation of multiple copies on the internet.

- Herb

Holger Müller 2020/08/01 14:56

Hi Gary,

On 01.08.20 14:29, hwalker wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:32 AM, Gary Cobb wrote:
>
> Hi Holger Can you put your 32-bit executable somewhere where ordinary
> mortals, like users and not coders, can download it?
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
Gary,
> It's not that hard to find,
> https://github.com/NanoVNA-Saver/nanovna-saver/actions/runs/191035033
> . That's pretty much how open source releases work. You can always
> download Holger's latest release from that link and not have to
> wonder if you what you download from another location is up to date.
> It also cuts down on proliferation of multiple copies on the
> internet.
>
> - Herb

it will be easier to find, when v0.3.7 is final. I refer always to
the Releases page on github. But during devolpment phases it is more
benificial to use source code and if one is expirienced enough in
python one could directly look at the code lines when something
breaks.

Pre and rc (release candidate) versions can be found as artifacts of
build actions.

73
Holger, DG5DBH

Gary Cobb 2020/08/01 16:16

Hi Holger and Herb,
Yes, I can find the artefact you point at. However you're still
missing the point - I am NOT A DEVELOPER so why should I join yet another
group, being Github I guess, so as to be able to download this software that
is ultimately intended for END-USERs - you can't download unless you're a
group member!

I appreciate how much work and effort you guys put into the development
process but then that's what you enjoy doing or presumably you wouldn't do
it! I understand that it is the nature of developing end-user software and
the need for frequent updates as inevitable unintentional errors crop up,
identified and fixed. On the other hand if you didn't have any end-users,
your efforts would be in vain and we, the great uneducated, would not
benefit from the great hardware development that's been going on -
NanoVNA's.

You say that "it will be easier to find when v0.3.7 is final" but if I had
not brought up the issue of 32-bit platforms, a suitable Window binary would
never happen. After all that's where this discussion started as the
available Windows binary download for a user is only 64-bit. It still might
not happen of course if you feel that I have affended or spoken ill of any
of your efforts to help. You are entitled not to publish of course, as I
appreciate that your work is entirely voluntary. Good on you but part of
that effort should be directed toward the ultimate end-user many of whom are
amateur radio guys who like making RF things work for fun and don't often
have, or need, the latest computer hardware.

Regards
Gary

Holger Müller 2020/08/01 17:53

Hi Gary,

On 01.08.20 17:16, Gary Cobb via groups.io wrote:
> Hi Holger and Herb,
> Yes, I can find the artefact you point at. However you're still
> missing the point - I am NOT A DEVELOPER so why should I join yet another
> group, being Github I guess, so as to be able to download this software that
> is ultimately intended for END-USERs - you can't download unless you're a
> group member!

sorry I must disagree. Pre-Releases are not considered for END-USERs by
me. I consider the are so many quirks oddities or crashes possible, that
I need feedback from Users that are at least able to enable Debug modes
and so on. Otherwise I would spent to much time in explaining how to
use console commands, editors and so on, and that on platforms that
I even have access to.

But as you see, when somebody seeks deep enough, he will find even
binaries of pre or rc versions.

And as soon as I suspect the current Version as release ready, I'll
give direct links to all binaries, like I've done with all releaseses
the I've done bevor.

So I can just ask for patience, to wait till v0.3.7 is final.

73
Holger, DG5DBH

hwalker 2020/08/01 08:56

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 08:16 AM, Gary Cobb wrote:

' You say that "it will be easier to find when v0.3.7 is final" but if I had not brought up the issue of 32-bit platforms, a suitable Window binary would
never happen. After all that's where this discussion started as the available Windows binary download for a user is only 64-bit. It still might not happen of course if you feel that I have affended or spoken ill of any of your efforts to help. "
===================================================
Gary,
Open source software can be frustrating sometimes because we expect it to act and be delivered like the software from a manufacturer. If you choose to use an open source application then you really should get familiar with GitHub since that is the primary repository for open source projects.

If you didn't care to download Python and run the uncompiled application on your PC, or compile it into an executable yourself, someone like Mark would have compiled the application for you. You are missing a great opportunity to add to your skillset by not learning to do so yourself. Like anything else it only seems difficult the first time.

Since open source developers do not ask for or receive remuneration for their efforts whether we use their application or not is no skin off of their teeth. Also, if the application doesn't meet our need we have other choices. Holger develops from a LINUX platform and had no way of checking some of the issues I reported using Windows. Initially the only way to run his NanoVNASaver branch was to use Python.

- Herb

Siegfried Jackstien 2020/08/01 17:36

i am also no programmer at all ... but a github member ... that way you
can report problems via the issues page

hmm ... so i would call me an end user ... and beta tester :-)

greetz dg9bfc sigi

Am 01.08.2020 um 15:53 schrieb Holger Müller:

Gary Cobb 2020/08/01 21:48

Hi Holger,
I'm sorry but this has got a little out of hand. I am, and was,
quite happy, as an end user, to wait for formal "releases" that has met with
some expectation level from you developers. My original question (see #823)
was why a 32-bit Windows build (v0.3.6 at that time) was not available from
the latest release link.

One of the answers was that all the developers use 64-bit platforms
suggesting that compiling to 32-bits was, in some way, difficult if not
inconvenient. Another answer was to dive off into running the v0.3.6 source
code in a Python environment and build the Windows app myself. I tried this
approach to see what all the fuss was about and it does indeed run under
Python on a 32-bit PC. This is not however the approach I would recommend to
my friends who are even less interested in coding as I am.

Yes, I'm not in any sort of hurry, I'll wait for the official release but if
I had not asked about this issue you would probably continue providing
64-bit Windows builds. Please therefore, can I simply ask that a 32-bit
windows build be made available as an optional release?

No offence has been meant,

Gary

To reply to this topic, join https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2