Beware of cheap underperforming clones

As of 2023 there are many badly performing clones on the market. V2/3GHz NanoVNA uses parts like ADF4350 and AD8342 which are costly and clones have been cutting costs by using salvaged or reject parts.

See official store and look for V2 Plus4/V2 Plus4 Pro versions only to avoid getting a bad clone. We have stopped selling V2.2 versions since October 2020, so all V2 hardware that are not Plus or Plus4 are not made by us and we can not guarantee performance.

NanoVNA V2 Forum

Note: this page is a mirror of https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2.
Click here to join and see most recent posts.

Measuring WIFI/ Antenas that are Over 1500mhz ?

Zkiitszo 2024/01/05 03:45

I know, i know...there's models that measure upto 3ghz-4ghz...but, those come with a hefty price tag. Many acquire this VNA, myself included due to budget restraints- though, I haven't just yet- my use case leans heavily to devices in the WIFI frequencies....2.4-5.8ghz areas. Holding off getting anything since I am on a tight budget in this area. But, if i have to....then i'd make sacrifices in other areas if I were to "splurge" on specific devices capable of measuring the frequencies I would...

Now, I am wondering, is there any -hack- to be able to measure antenas in these frequencies but with the VNAs of a lesser price point? Attaching a choke or filter to divide the measured signal? I got the idea from seeing upconverters/ downconverters for cheaper SDRs/ even pricey ones to get ranges normally not accounted for by the device...maybe this is something that could be looked into? I'm thinking outload but wouldn't measuring something like this, in the manner I'm laying out..wouldn't we get a more accurate reading- my logic here is-now don't judge..it's the best way i can explain....think video quality...take an HD video and you can view lower res versions with great quality..take that same video and go backwards, from low quality and upconvert it/ try to watch it on a large screen and you get a junk pixelated image... so say we take that 2.4ghz signal and somehow view it within the boundaries of the smaller VNAs- you'd have that 'resolution'(again excuse my description) to be able to get a more detail measurement. Again, just thinking out loud + inquiring if this can be done.

Thanks!

nanov2support 2024/01/05 07:52

Hi, the lower cost VNAs have a synthesizer operating up to 300MHz, and using harmonics the frequency range is extended. Although they will let you enter any frequency up to many GHz, the measurement already deteriorates before 1500MHz:
https://nanorfe.com/forum/attachments/NanoVNA-H4-vs-V2.2/3175bf640fbd-0/NanoVNA%20H4%20vs%20V2.png

You can see the VNA shows a response at multiples of the filter passband that are not actually there.
However, it may be usable for simple antenna measurements up to 1500MHz.
Higher frequencies require a costly synthesizer, receivers, and higher frequency rated components, which is the reason for the large price gap between genuine NanoRFE VNAs and lower cost units that make use of harmonics.
Thanks

To reply to this topic, join https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2

View this thread on groups.io